Survey Results Confirm that Public Perception of the Trucking Industry is Stronger than Ever
Washington, D.C. – November 1, 2022 – Trucking Moves America Forward (TMAF), the industry-wide education and image movement, announced new survey results from a national poll today. The research was commissioned by TMAF in September 2022 to measure the impact of the awareness and education campaign among American motorists since the previous survey conducted in 2019.
“Our latest polling shows that the image of the trucking industry is stronger than ever,” said Kevin Burch, co-chairman of TMAF and Vice President of Government Affairs and Sales at MTS. “The public perception of the trucking is at an all-time high with our poll finding that the majority of Americans – 87% of voters – have a favorable impression of trucking, which is the highest public opinion has been since TMAF began tracking industry views in 2014. More and more Americans continue to realize the essential role that trucking plays in the nation’s economy and in all of our lives, thanks to industry-wide education efforts. TMAF will continue our mission to tell the positive story of trucking to shift public perception even higher.”
- 87% of voters have a favorable impression of the trucking industry, which is up from 67% in 2019.
- 97% of Americans believe the trucking industry plays a “very important” role in the country’s economy, which is the same as in 2019.
- Nearly three-fourths (72%) rate the industry’s safety record as “excellent” or “good,” which is nearly the same as in 2019 at 70%.
- When asked about truck drivers, 96% of Americans stated they are essential to keeping the country’s economy moving, 85% consider truck drivers to be professionals, and 78% believe that truck drivers have higher standards for safety than other drivers.
- Voters have generally heard people say more positive than negative things about the trucking industry, with comments like “keeping stores stocked,” “critical for the success of the country,” and “keeping the country moving” as top responses.
- When voters were asked which group of workers should be considered “essential or critical” to the country in times of crisis, trucking ranked top three along with grocery store workers and healthcare workers
To view the full results and how they compare with previous surveys, click here: https://bit.ly/3fjBT01
On behalf of TMAF, Public Opinion Strategies completed a survey of 1,000 registered voters nationally. Respondents were contacted online. The survey was conducted September 7-14, 2022 and has a margin of error of +3.53%.
About Trucking Moves America Forward
Trucking Moves America Forward aims to establish a long-term industry-wide movement to create a positive image for the industry, to ensure that policymakers and the public understand the importance of the trucking industry to the nation’s economy, and to build the political and grassroots support necessary to strengthen and grow the industry in the future. To learn more, visit http://www.truckingmovesamerica.com/. Also join and follow TMAF through social media, on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Medium.