Micheal Sheeds of Bandera, TX, named 2015 ‘citizen driver’
WESTLAKE, Ohio, April 22, 2015 – TravelCenters of America LLC, (TravelCenters), operator of Petro Stopping Centers® branded travel centers, has announced the Petro San Antonio, TX Stopping Center location was renamed in honor of professional truck driver, Micheal Sheeds, of Bandera, TX, selected as a 2015 Citizen Driver by a panel of industry leaders sponsored by TravelCenters.
Micheal, who drives for Werner Enterprises, was one of five professional drivers recognized as a “Citizen Driver” in March 2015. Micheal’s hard work and dedication both on the road and off the road were key factors that played a role in his selection to recognize his achievement, the Petro in San Antonio, Texas, located at I-10, Exit 582, 1112 Ackerman Rd., San Antonio, Texas will be permanently renamed “Micheal Sheeds San Antonio Stopping Center”.
“I’m very pleased to have gotten to know Micheal through the process that led up to his being recognized as a 2015 Citizen Driver,” said Tom O’Brien, President and CEO of TravelCenters. “Not only has Micheal had an exemplary career so far, being both a trainer and driver, he, like all of past and present Citizen Drivers, is the kind of person that everyone in the trucking industry and outside of it, should be proud to know.”
Citizen Driver is designed to recognize professional drivers who evoke public respect for the truck driving profession through good citizenship, safety, community involvement, health and wellness, and leadership. The program, launched in May 2013, is a way for TravelCenters, the trucking industry and the public to recognize the best of the best, not just for being good at their jobs, but for being good people that everyone, everywhere, both inside and outside of trucking, can admire and respect. With more than 3 million professional truck drivers in the U.S., their impact on the average American’s life is largely unknown and underappreciated.
Micheal’s outstanding achievements include:
- He received the President’s Safety Award and numerous other Werner Safe Driving awards offered for the past 24 years.
– more –
TRUCK DRIVER MICHAEL SHEEDS HAS PETRO SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS NAMED IN HIS HONOR-2
- Mike has been driving for 25 years accumulating over 3 million accident free miles.
- He was nominated to take part in the American Trucking Associations’ America’s Road Team.
- He helped save a car load of teens from a burning vehicle during an accident.
- Mike spent a half hour performing CPR to a man he found unconscious at a truck stop.
- He regularly volunteers in his community and beyond, including clean-up and stocking supplies in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.
- Mike participates in charity races, such as the Running of The Bulls race in Houston to support fund raising for medical injuries.
- He and his family have donated books to those who cannot afford them for their children.
- Mike is a Unites States Marine Corps veteran.
- Mike and his wife are proud foster parents of four daughters and have spent countless hours advocating for change and assistance for children who have been in foster care including numerous visits with state legislators and members of congress.
More information about Citizen Driver, including nomination forms for the 2016 program can be found at www.ta-petro.com/citizendriveraward.
About TravelCenters of America LLC
TravelCenters of America LLC (TravelCenters), headquartered in Westlake, Ohio, is a leading travel center business in 43 states and Canada operating under the TA® and Petro Stopping Centers® brands. With 254 convenient full-service locations off interstate highway exits, TA and Petro Stopping Centers offer customers diesel and gasoline fueling services, more than 500 full- and quick-service restaurants, 24-hour convenience stores, heavy truck maintenance services, RoadSquad Connect™ (24/7/365 emergency roadside service), Reserve-It™ (truck parking reservations), and many other services – all within large, high traffic facilities. TravelCenters also operates gasoline/convenience stores primarily under the Minit Mart brand name. For more information on TravelCenters, TA, and Petro Stopping Centers, please visit www.ta-petro.com. For more information on Minit Mart, please visit www.minitmart.com.
TravelCenters of America